Australian Visas:

The Training Visa subclass 407 

Let Visa Jobs take the stress out of getting your 407 Visa

As with all Australian visas there are a number of requirements that you must prove you meet before your visa is granted. The hardest part of the process for the Training Visa (407 visa), is finding an employer to sponsor you. Then there needs to be a tailored training program based on your learning requirements. Our 407 recruitment partners will help you decide if this is the right visa for you. Then we will find a suitable employer and tailor a program so that you achieve your goals.

    About the Training Visa subclass 407

    The Training Visa subclass 407 is a popular visa for anyone interested in migrating to Australia on a temporary basis to engage in occupational training or professional development. It provides a great way to develop your knowledge and skills, so you advance in your academic or professional career.

    Like the TSS/482 Visa, you will need to have an Australian organisation nominate to sponsor you, in a specific occupation. However, unlike the TSS Visa you must participate in a fully structured occupation training program. The training is completed whilst working for your sponsoring organisation. Your sponsoring company must also be approved as a temporary activities sponsor.

    Occupational training options

    Your approved sponsor will be required to nominate you through one of the following three streams. Which stream is based on the purpose of the occupation training that you will be taking part in:

    Workplace training needed for registration – if your occupation requires registration, licensing or membership to be able to work in Australia or your home country 

    Work-based training aimed at improving skills in an occupation – if your occupation is on the relevant skills occupation list and your goal is to improve your skills and experience within it

    Occupational training for capacity building overseas – if you are an overseas student who as part of your qualification must complete overseas training or research, or you are supported by a government agency (Australian or your home country) to complete workplace-based training, or your overseas employer wants you to complete a professional development program.

    The training structure

    In most cases the occupational training program will comprise of 30 hours per week of training.  At least 70% of the training being completed within the workplace and not a classroom. As part of the visa application a structured training plan will need to be submitted that is tailored to the nominee’s individual training needs. 

    Including family and partners

    When applying for a 407 Visa application you can include dependent family members or a partner. You are able to apply for the visa either whilst onshore in Australia or offshore. The visa will be granted for up to two years, depending on the length of your training program specified in your visa application.

    With the 407 Visa you can

    Stay in Australia temporarily to complete workplace-based training
    Participate in a professional development training program
    Leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like, whilst the vis is valid
    Include dependant family members

    407 Visa requirements 

    Be over the age of 18 years old, unless exceptional circumstances apply
    You are nominated by a sponsor who has been approved as a Temporary Activities Sponsor (unless they are an Australian Commonwealth Agency)
    Your sponsor must provide a structure plan for the occupational training program you will be participating in 
    You must be able to prove you have a minimum of 12 months full-time work or study experience, in your chosen occupation, from within the last 24 months*
    Your occupation must be on the relevant Skilled Occupation List
    Demonstrate a Functional Level of English or higher
    Meet the health and character requirements
    You must be able to prove you have sufficient funds to support yourself
    Demonstrate you plan to stay in Australia temporarily by meeting the genuine temporary entrant requirement

    *Required if you intend to participate in an occupation training program aimed at improving your skills for your chosen occupation.

    Occupations available through the 407 Visa

    You will only be able to apply for the 407 Visa if your occupation is listed below. If your occupation is not listed below then the 407 visa will not be an option. You may want to check alternative visa options such as the Student Visa subclass 500.

    Once you have found an occupation that you believe is suitable for you, contact us and we will send you the document checklist for the occupation. Make sure you tell us the full ANZSCO occupation title and ANZSCO code.

    The 407 Visa process

    The main costs for the 407 Visa

    *This price may vary depending on the trainee provider. It will usually include the training program, employer recruitment and Registered Migration Agent fees. Learn more about our Visa Jobs Training Visa services where we can take care of everything for you.

    Visa processing times for the 407 Visa

    As for all Australian visas the processing times fluctuates each month based on a number of different factors. Factors such as the volume of applications, complexity and the time of year can have a significant affect. The Department updates the estimated processing times for each visa every month but should only be used as a guideline.

    To see the Department’s most up to date processing times for all visas, visit the Global Visa Processing Times page.

    Updated: October 2021


    Contact Visa Jobs for help getting your 407 Visa

    If you are interested in learning more about the Training Visa subclass 407 feel free to contact us today. Our 407 recruitment partners can send you more information about the visa and help you decide if it’s the best option for you. They can also assist you with gathering your documents, creating your training plan, finding an employer to sponsor you and lodging your visa application.

      Frequently asked questions (FAQ) – About the Training Visa subclass 407

      Am I able to travel to and from Australia whilst on the 407 Visa?

      Yes, you are able to leave and re-enter as many times as long as your visa is valid.

      How long does the 407 visa take to be granted?

      The government’s processing times vary and are updated each month. You can check the current processing times here.

      Do I have to be located in Australia when applying for the 407 Visa?

      No, you can apply whilst being in Australia or overseas. If you are applying whilst in Australia, you will need to make sure you are not holding a Temporary Work Visa subclass 403, Special Purpose Visa or Transit Visa subclass 771.

      Is there a minimum or maximum age requirement?

      The only age requirements is that you are over the age of 18 years old.

      Can I apply for another 407 Visa or extend it?

      You are not able to extend your 407 visa, however, you are able to apply for another visa as long as you have a valid sponsor.

      Can I include my family or a partner?

      Yes, you are able to include your spouse or de facto partner in your application, as well as any children who are dependent on the primary applicant. Children can be the main applicants or partners.

      Secondary applicants can be added after you apply for the visa but must be added before the visa is granted. Any family member added will need to meet the health and character requirements.

      Can I change my sponsor?

      Yes, if you decide that you would like to change your sponsor your new sponsor will be required to submit a new nomination application. Once the nomination has been approved you will be able to continue your occupational training for the remainder of your visa.

      You will not need to pay for a new 407 Visa as long as your occupational training program stays the same as what was approved for the visa. If a new training program is required then you will need to lodge a new visa application.

      Am I able to work part-time for my sponsor?

      No, the 407 Visa requires that workplace training is for a minimum of 30 hours per week. In addition, 70 percent of the training must be completed in the workplace and no more than 30 percent completed in a classroom. 

      You will not need to pay for a new 407 Visa as long as your occupational training program stays the same as what was approved for the visa. If a new training program is required then you will need to lodge a new visa application.

      Can I work part-time or on a casual basis for any other employers?

      No, you are only allowed to work for your sponsor.

      You will not need to pay for a new 407 Visa as long as your occupational training program stays the same as what was approved for the visa. If a new training program is required then you will need to lodge a new visa application.

      How long is the visa granted for?

      The 407 Visa will be granted for up to two years, depending on the length of your organisational training program.


      Visa Jobs is an independent company that has no association with the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), or the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA)

      This page provides general information based on public guidelines that are published on the Department of Home Affairs website and the legislative instrument for this visa. Information provided on this page should not be used as legal advice. It is for general information purposes only. Therefore, we provide no warranty of any kind or accept liability regarding the validity or reliability of this information.

      We strongly recommend engaging a MARA Registered Migration Agent before lodging any visa application or when seeking visa advice, as they are bound by the OMARA code of conduct. 

      If you require services from a MARA Registered Migration Agent, please contact us and we will connect you with one. To learn more regarding the information provided on our website, please see our full Disclaimer.

      Great tools to help you
      Free TSS Visa Test
      TSS Visa Help

      Contact Us

      JobMonster Inc.
      54/29 West 21st Street, New York, 10010, USA


      Level 2, 696 Bourke Street,
      Melbourne, VIC, 3000