1. Home
  2. Candidates - Intro to the TSS Visa
  3. An Overview of Documents Needed
  1. Home
  2. Candidates - Main Documents Needed
  3. An Overview of Documents Needed

An Overview of Documents Needed

Documents required. Photo by Mohammad Danish from Pexels

The following information has been gathered and written based on general information that is available at the Department of Home Affairs website.  It has been reviewed by an experienced Lawyer and Migration Agent registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority MARA accredited Migration Agents to ensure its accuracy as of the date of publishing.

The information in this article is not legal advice and should be used for general information purposes only. At Visa Jobs we strongly recommend you consider engaging a Registered Migration Agent who can assess your documents and personal situation before submitting any visa applications

The following article is going to give a basic overview of what documents are needed if you want to apply for the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (TSS) subclass 482. This checklist is based on the Department of Home Affairs’ public guidelines so depending on your specific situation more evidence may be required.

It is advisable to gather the required documents before you start applying for jobs or lodge a visa application. This is simply because some documents can take you months to gather. If you apply and get offered a job before your documents are gathered, you could lose it if the employer doesn’t have time to wait.

When taking copies of documents always get good quality scanned coloured copies. If the copies are hard to read, you will be asked to resubmit. All documents must be in English. If you need to get anything translated, submit both the translated and original copies.

Finally, some documents are only valid for a certain period of time. Don’t worry we have let you know which documents these are to avoid them expiring.

Main documents to gather

As the primary visa applicant, you need the following documents. Later we will look at documents for anyone else included in the visa application.

Proof of English

Anyone applying for a TSS visa needs to meet the English language requirements. You will need to take an English Language test unless you hold a current passport from certain countries, or you meet one of the other English exemption options.

The minimum score will depend on which occupation list your occupation is on. There are a number of approved companies you can take your test through, with centres worldwide.

For the purposes of Australian immigration, English tests are only valid for three years.

Formal qualifications

Depending on your occupation, formal qualifications may or may not be required. We suggest checking the ANZSCO guidelines for your occupation to see what qualification level is required. In some cases, experience can replace qualifications.

If you are not sure if your qualifications are relevant then we suggest still gathering them. A registered Migration Agent can assess them for you.

Qualifications must be post-secondary, and you must provide both the certificate and academic transcripts.

Work Experience

You must demonstrate that you have two years of work experience working in your occupation at the appropriate skill level. Written employment references from your former employer are generally required and, often, you will be required to provide other forms of evidence of work experience such as an employment contract, tax returns or payslips.

Depending on your occupation, your references will need to cover a specific period of time and must contain specific details but you must demonstrate that you have at least two years of relevant work experience in your nominated occupation. To save you time make sure you fully understand what must be included in the written reference, what supporting documents you should provide and what to do if you have been self-employed, or cant get a reference.

Police clearance certificates

One of the character requirements for the TSS visa is that you provide police clearance certificates (also called penal clearance certificates). You will need to get a certificate for any country you have lived in for 12 months or more, collectively over the last 10 years.

Police clearance certificates are only valid for 12 months. Bear this in mind if you have to get more than one certificate. Some may take months to obtain.

We recommend you understand the Character Requirements and Getting your police certificates, what you need to do if you have worked on cruise ships, or cant get a certificate for a specific country.

CV or Resume

You need to provide an up-to-date CV or resume that covers at least the last five years but preferably should cover all your study and work experience since you completed your secondary education. Its must contain specific information. It has to be accurate and match the information on your other documents. We have written an article outlining what needs to be included in your CV/resume.

Meeting the health requirements

These will usually be completed at the visa application stage through your Migration Agent. Its worth understanding the health requirements early on, especially if you think you or anyone included in the visa may have a health condition that could affect the visa outcome.

Depending on your nationality, or countries you have spent time in, you may be required to complete a health examination. You will also need adequate health insurance for the duration of your visa, unless you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.

Other documents

You only need to provide a copy of the biographical (photo) pages from your passport.

Depending on your occupation and nationality you may be required to complete a skills assessment. Check who needs to complete a skills assessment as they can take a few months to complete. They are generally only valid for three years.

You may be required to prove you are able to meet licensing and registration requirements for certain occupations.

If you, or anyone included in the application, have legally changed their name you will also need to include a copy of their birth certificate and evidence.

If you have served in the military for 12 months or more, you will need to provide a military certificate.

A passport photo will be required for anyone included in the application, make sure you understand the photo specifications for Australia.

Documents for family members included in the application

Common documents include:

  • Passports – copy of the biographical (photo) pages
  • Birth Certificates – for children only
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Relationship Documents – if you are in a de facto relationship, covering a minimum of
    6 months
  • Police Clearance Certificates – If over 16 years of age
  • Proof of dependency – if you have a child over 18 years of age


All of this information may seem overwhelming, but taking your time is the best way to understand everything you need. Our Visa Information Centre contains more useful articles covering the various different pieces of documentation you need to apply for your TSS Visa.

Updated on July 24, 2019

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles


    1. Hi,

      If you are interested in the TSS Visa and you would like more information or would like questions answered, please contact us via enquiry@visajobs.co

      We will be happy to answer any questions you might have or let you know how you can proceed.


  1. IAM looking for a job as a sous chef.thanks

Leave a Comment