Australian Visas:

The TSS Visa subclass 482

How Visa Jobs will help you get your TSS Visa

If you are a skilled worker wanting to emigrate to Australia then the TSS visa is one of the most common visa options available. There are a number of visa requirements that you must prove you meet as well as finding an eligible employer to offer you sponsorship. 

Our expert team will take care of everything for you. We will explain exactly which documents you must gather and then have them checked by MARA Registered Migration Agents who Visa Jobs has partnered with. Our team will create your Australian CV and find potential recruiters or employers who offer sponsorship.  

    About the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa subclass 482

    The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, also known as the TSS or 482 Visa was created to help employers fill job vacancies with skilled overseas workers, when they are unable to find suitable applicants from the local labour market.

    This visa is a temporary visa that allows you to live and work in Australia. In order for the visa to be granted, you must have an eligible employer willing to sponsor you. In addition to being nominated by an employer, there are a number of visa requirements that must be met. Once the TSS Visa is approved, the primary visa applicant will only be able to work for the employer who has nominated them.


    Available occupations

    Only occupations that there is a shortage of skilled workers for can be sponsored through the TSS Visa scheme. Each occupation will belong to one of two ‘streams’; the Short Term Stream or the Medium Term Stream. This is important as it will affect the cost of the visa, what level of English is required, how long the visa is granted for and can affect your options if you plan on staying in Australia long-term.

    Each occupation will also belong to one of three occupation lists:

    Short Term Occupation List (STSOL) – Short Term Stream

    Medium to Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) – Medium Term Stream

    Regional Occupation List (ROL) – Medium Term Stream


    Visa validity

    If your occupation is on the Short Term Stream it can only be granted for one or two years. If your occupation is on the Medium Term Stream then it can be granted for one to four years. The employer will decide at the time of lodging their Nomination application how many years they wish to sponsor you for.

    If your visa is due to expire a new TSS Visa and you are on the Short Term Stream, it can be applied for once onshore and once from overseas. If your occupation is on the Medium Term Stream it can be renewed as many times onshore or offshore as you like, as long as you meet the requirements.

    Including family and partners

    You can include dependent family members in your visa application either at the time of lodgement or once approved. Applying for this visa can be lodged whilst you are onshore in Australia or if you are offshore.


    Transitioning onto a Permanent Residency (PR) Visa

    Even though the TSS Visa is a temporary visa, there are various ways you can transition onto a PR visa and stay in Australia long-term. The location where you live and work whilst on your TSS Visa may affect your options when applying for PR. It is worth understanding your PR options before accepting a job offer as the location could limit your options for PR.

    With the TSS Visa you can

    Live and work in Australia for up to 2 or 4 years
    Bring your partner and family
    Travel to and from Australia as many times whilst your visa is valid
    Transition to Permanent Residency (PR) – if eligible

    TSS Visa requirements 

    Be nominated by an approved employer in an occupation on the STSOL, MLTSSL or ROL
    Have a minimum of two years relevant work experience in your nominated occupation
    Demonstrate you meet the minimum standard for English language proficiency
    Have relevant skills, qualifications and employment background
    Meet the health and character requirements
    Have a positive skills assessment (if required for your occupation)

    Find out straight away if you are eligible for the TSS Visa with our Free assessment tool

    We have created a FREE online self assessment tool so you can find out in minutes if you are eligible for the TSS Visa. Click on the button below, create a Visa Jobs Free Members account or login, and then take the test. 

    Occupations available through the TSS Visa

    You will only be able to apply for the TSS Visa if your occupation is listed below. If your occupation is not listed below then the TSS visa will not be an option and you may want to check if alternative visas such as the Training Visa subclass 407 or the Student Visa subclass 500.

    Once you have found an occupation that you believe is suitable for you, contact us and we will send you the document checklist for the occupation. Make sure you tell us the full ANZSCO occupation title and ANZSCO code.

    The TSS Visa process

    The main costs for the TSS Visa

    Occupations on the STSOL
    Occupations on the MLTSSL or ROL

    Visa processing times for the TSS Visa

    As for all Australian visas the processing times fluctuates each month based on a number of different factors such as volume, complexity and the time of year. The Department updates the estimated processing times for each visa every month but should only be used as a guideline.

    To see the Department’s most up to date processing times for all visas, visit the Global Visa Processing Times page.

    Updated: October 2021


    Contact Visa Jobs for help getting your TSS Visa

    If you are interested in learning more about the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa subclass 482 feel free to contact us today. We will explain the process and which documents to gather. We can get your visa eligibility assessed by MARA Registered Migration Agents and then connect you with employers or recruiters.

      Frequently asked questions (FAQ) – About the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa subclass 482

      Am I able to change employers?

      If you have a valid and approved TSS or 457 Visa, you can change your employer without having to apply for a new visa as long as you will be working in the same occupation. Your new employer must submit a nomination application which must be approved before you can legally start working for them.

      If you start working for your new employer before the new Nomination is approved, you will be in breach of your visa and your visa may be cancelled.

      Can I change my occupation or work in a different occupation to what is on my visa approval notice?

      Once your TSS Visa is approved, you will only be allowed to work in the occupation that you have been nominated in. 

      If you want to change your occupation a new Nomination application and TSS Visa application will need to be lodged and approved before you can change roles.

      What happens if I cease employment for my sponsoring employer?

      If for any reason you cease employment, your employer is obligated to notify the Department of Immigration within 28 days. You will then have 60 days to:

      • Depart Australia, or
      • Find a new employer to sponsor you and lodge a nomination to change your employer, or
      • Lodge an alternative visa application

      For immigration purposes the majority of Australia is classed as designated regional areas with the exception of major cities such as Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. You can check the full list of postcodes for specific designated regional areas here.

      Who can I include in my visa application?

      You can include your spouse, partner or dependent children (yours or your partners) that are under the age of 18 year old and unmarried.

      If I include family members or a partner will they be able to work?

      Any family members included will have full work rights meaning they are able to for any employer, in any occupation if they wish to work.

      Can I apply for another TSS visa once mine expires?

      Yes, but the number of times you can apply for a new TSS Visa will depend on which occupation list your occupation is on. 

          • STSOL Occupations = only once onshore and one offshore
          • MLTSSL or ROL = as many times as you like

      You must also make sure you meet the visa requirements and have an eligible employer willing to nominate you.

      Can I apply for the TSS visa if I am older than 45?

      Yes, there are no age restrictions for the TSS visa. If you plan on applying for a PR visa then age restrictions will apply, in most cases, you must apply or be invited to apply before turning 45 years old.

      Will permanent residency be an option?

      The TSS visa can lead to permanent residency. There may be a number of different PR options available so to find out more please contact us and we can discuss your eligibility and options in more detail.

      Can I apply for a TSS visa if I am outside of Australia?

      Yes, you can either apply whilst onshore or offshore but if applying offshore, you will need to have an approved visa before entering Australia.

      How long is the processing time for the TSS visa?

      As with all Australian visas processing times vary depending on factors such as the number of applications lodged and the complexity of them. Each month the processing times are updated to reflect the previous months processing times. You can check the current processing times here.

      Do I have to have a job offer to be granted the TSS visa?

      Yes, one of the key requirements for the TSS Visa is that you have an eligible employer who is willing to nominate you for sponsorship, in a specific occupation.

      What is meant by an eligible employer, can not any employer sponsor me?

      In order for an employer to be able to sponsor an overseas worker, they must be registered as a Standard Business Sponsor with the government and have a valid SBS.

      Not all employers will be eligible to sponsor so make sure you check with them when searching for a job.


      Visa Jobs is an independent company that has no association with the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), or the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA)

      This page provides general information based on public guidelines that are published on the Department of Home Affairs website and the legislative instrument for this visa. Information provided on this page should not be used as legal advice. It is for general information purposes only. Therefore, we provide no warranty of any kind or accept liability regarding the validity or reliability of this information.

      We strongly recommend engaging a MARA Registered Migration Agent before lodging any visa application or when seeking visa advice, as they are bound by the OMARA code of conduct. 

      If you require services from a MARA Registered Migration Agent, please contact us and we will connect you with one. To learn more regarding the information provided on our website, please see our full Disclaimer.

      Great tools to help you
      Free TSS Visa Test
      TSS Visa Help

      Contact Us

      JobMonster Inc.
      54/29 West 21st Street, New York, 10010, USA


      Level 2, 696 Bourke Street,
      Melbourne, VIC, 3000